On 25 Aug 2008, at 03:25, Curtis Olson wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> I think this was all done intentionally because it's quite common to
> want to start a flight simulator on a 5 or 7 or 10 mile approach so
> you can practice ILS landing.
>
> The start-offset-m value I believe was added later to account for
> the difference in aircraft size.  A starting position that works
> well to place the C172 at the end of the runway, might put the back
> half of the 747 off the end of the runway.

Understood on both counts, but that means I think there is a bug in
the glideslope code:

> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 3:53 PM, James Turner wrote:
>
> Anyway, what makes me wonder if there's a bug here is the glideslope
> logic. In the case where a glideslope angle is specified, and also a
> preset altitude, we encounter the code at line 976 of fg_init.cxx.
> Now, the crucial observation is that this code does multiply the final
> distance by -1. As a result, the calculated offset-distance-nm would
> place the start position well down the runway - possibly some way
> beyond it, in fact.

Hence my feeling that something isn't quite right - I understand why
the 'polarity' of start-offset-m and offset-distance-nm are they way
there are, but then it does seem as if the glideslope calculation will
place the point in a silly place. From testing with the code, that
does indeed seem to be the case.

The fix would be as trivial as removing the '-1' term from that line,
of course.

James