On 08/24/2008 01:53 PM, James Turner wrote:

> Doing this, I came across something which seems counter-intuitive to me:

I agree, it's counterintuitive, to say the least.

> default azimuth to offset by is the *reciprocal* runway heading. This
> means to start 10nm 'out' from the threshold, one can use a positive
> value of 10 - I expected this to require a negative value.

Good catch.  I agree, there are many good reasons why a negative value
would be appropriate here.

> I wonder if this is intentional, since it's the more common case that
> starting 'ahead' of the threshold, but equally it might be a bug - the
> azimuth is inverted to move from the runway centre 'back' to the
> threshold.

Long-ago discussions indicate that it is intentional.  But it is still
a Bad Idea.  The problem is, starting "ahead" of the threshold is only
one use-case among many.  It is not even remotely the most common case
chez moi.  It is a Bad Idea to simplify this one case at the cost of
logic and consistency among the many other cases, such as positioning
relative to enroute waypoints.

On a tangentially related note, it appears that James Turner is wise
enough to live by the dictum, "principles and concepts first;  terminology
second".  I mention this because previous discussions of this topic
quickly degenerated into pedantic emphasis on the definition of
"distance" (which is necessarily positive) to the exclusion of more
usable concepts such as location-vectors and position-vectors along
the number line.

For years, the _Sport Model_ has represented offsets in the logical
way, such that negative offsets are on the "upstream" side of the
reference point, while positive offsets are on the "downstream".
side.