This was way too long in coming, but I have done a few service updates.

1. The master ftp.*gear.org server was having stability problems for some
time now and would crash every couple days.  I never got to the bottom of
the problem ... I fully replaced the motherboard, cpu, and memory at one
point.  The kernel would periodically dump out "dazed and confused" messages
to the console and eventually after a few days the machine would just lock
up.  This started after a kernel upgrade, so my best guess (not that it
matters anymore) is that there was some driver bug or incompatibility with
this older hardware and the newer linux kernel.  I have completely removed
that hardware and consolidated ftp and cvs services on a single machine (
baron.flightgear.org.)

2. I also noticed that www.simgear.org and www.terragear.org had gone off
line when my department here redid some IP address space.  I missed that,
and only one person complained and only very recently, but those services
should be back online now.

3. I suspect I need to spend some time reviving the anonymous rsync server,
but I haven't had a chance to look into that yet.  No one has complained
though so I assume it is not very popular and thus a lower priority.

4. I plan to continue to tinker with setting up a test svn service with a
snapshot conversion of flightgear's cvs repository.  For now this will be
for test and play only.  I realize that selecting a revision control system
is close to a religion for some folks (just like picking an OS, or a text
editor, or a web browser, or a mail client, or a computer case color.)
There has been many intelligent and useful comments posted to the list in
support of various packages and I appreciate how much people care about this
issue.  But we have to support all our users and developers and we need to
pick a system that all our developers can run smoothly on their favorite OS.

Regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/