On 23 Sep 2008, at 20:26, Syd wrote:

> So I gather your telling me I can't change my aircraft ? The gpws
> issues
> have been known for a long time , and I,m sure you well know that .
> I wont post bugs here because of exactly this....  My past questions
> were largely ignored , my minor patches were generally called crap ,
> and
> the only way to get a real discussion going seems to be introducing a
> mistake or a typo.... THEN watch the discussions fly !

The problem seems to be very bad in the case of the GPWS, because it's
actually a very complex instrument, and the author (who seems to
be ... absent?) clearly put in a lot of very accurate functionality,
but almost no documentation. Because it's so complex, I assume it
needs some accurate configuration to work with an aircraft - i.e the
'out of the box' defaults are not correct - which is entirely
understandable.

There also seems to be a lack of some reference installations in
aircraft, and the code hasn't had much love - I've been bumping up
against it doing my refactorings, but I think I'll take a step back,
and look over it properly, since it seems no one else has in some time.

Also, don't get me wrong - I have no problem with people coding up
systems in Nasal, it's the right place for many, many such systems.
And indeed, probably the right place for a simple radar-altitude-based
GPWS with voice callouts. That's not what the Mk-VIII is - it's
modelling all the clever modes (look-ahead, terrain clearing,
approach, etc) and doing things like finding the nearest runway /
localiser to identify which runway the aircraft is inbound too. It's a
good case of a real-world instrument which makes sense to be in C++
(until machines get quite a bit quicker), but it needs some love, and
some docs.

So, I don't have a problem with a Nasal GPWS, but I'd far, far rather
have some collaboration and help to get the Mk-VIII into a state where
aircraft modellers can use it comfortably and correctly.

> In the meantime , IRC is a much
> freindlier , helpful place.

But not a useable one for some of us - following the forums and here
is enough work for me.

Regards,
James