Michael Smith wrote:
> Curtis Olson wrote:
>
>> In the pre-osg version, I believe the cache size was scaled relative
>> to the visibility (i.e. for some particular visibilty, a certain
>> number of tiles need to be loaded in order to cover all the visible
>> earth, and then the cache was set to some number higher than that so
>> that we wouldn't get thrashing.)  I don't recall the exact formula ...
>> maybe something like 2*n + 1 (where n is the number of visible
>> tiles.)  I don't know if this concept was carried forward to the OSG
>> version ,but you might try limiting visibility and that should reduce
>> the number of tiles being loaded.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Curt.
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Michael Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Michael Smith wrote:
>>     > I have tried plenty of things to get fg to run on this old piece of
>>     > junk but I am getting tired only being able to fly water routes
>>     (i.e.
>>     > island to island). If I try to fly over land, it gets slower and
>>     > slower over time, so I want to know how to lower how much
>>     scenery gets
>>     > cached (not affraid to edit code here).
>>     >
>>     > Thanks
>>     >
>>     > Michael Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
>>     >
>>     >
>>     Anybody? I really want to know this.

>>     challenge
>>     Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win
>>     great prizes
>>     Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in
>>     the world
>>     http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/
>>     <http://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/>
>>

>> --
>> Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/
>> <http://baron.flightgear.org/%7Ecurt/>
>>

> Hmm, Ok, I will try this, but if there is another way (I wouldn't want
> IFR flight on a shiney bright day at TNCM :), I would like to know.
> Thanks Curt.
>

> Michael Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ok, I tried a short route in my 777 (KSFO - KATL) and had 10 fps leaving
KSFO ( that is shocking btw, I only ever get 1 there) and through the
flight at FL350 i get between 7 and 15 FPS, but once I came down where
the ground could be seen, the fps went and stayed at 1 - 2 fps and I had
to kill because I can't land that. Any other suggestions on how I could
do this or any other way (I have disabled everything in Rendering
Options besides Display FPS and Show Chat Messages and have had model-hz
set to 90) I could make fg stop munching my ram to pieces?

--
Michael Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (mdsmith2)