How much memory do you have?  Is it possible to add some memory to get
yourself up to maybe at least 512Mb total?  If you are running this under
linux, there are easy ways to look at your total system memory, how much
memory is out in swap, how much memory the FlightGear application is taking,
etc.  Probably similar tools under windows, but I'm less familiar with
system level debugging there.