Yon Uriarte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 6:12 PM, Heiko Schulz <aeitsch...@yahoo.de
> <mailto:aeitsch...@yahoo.de>> wrote:
>

>     My last cloudset has fewer but larger sprites. I did this because I
>     noticed that it saves a lot of fps. On the forum Gijs noticed the
>     same with my cloudset.
>
>     Mores sprites means more alpha and more textures which is always a
>     fps-killer.
No, the cost of blending is proportional to the area blended on the screen, so
few large sprites vs. many small sprites should cost about the same. It is true
that it takes longer to sort a large number of sprites, but I'm not worried
about the sorting cost at this point.
>     I'm pretty sure that there is another solution looking to X-plane
>     which seems to use the same technic for their clouds.
>

>  Fewer bigger sprites with few parts of the sprite with  0 < alpha < 1.
> One opaque pre-pass drawing front to back with
> alpha culling != 1 and blending off to fill up z-buffer then a second
> pass back to front with alpha culling < 1 and blending on.
> Second pass gets massively z-culled, saving on rop blending bandwidth.
> First pass gets also z-culled by itself.

This is a good idea if, in fact, the cloud sprites are mostly opaque. I think
we
are doing various tricks where the sprites end up being completely transparent.
Also, I don't think that the blending stage is a bottleneck for us at the
moment.
>  It's a tradeoff between cpu and gpu fill and blend rate, whatever is
> your bottleneck.
> Sadly, that changes between machines, so the opaque pre-pass should be a
> configurable.
Tim