Tim,

Tim Moore wrote:
> James Turner wrote:
> > On 31 Dec 2008, at 19:32, Martin Spott wrote:

> >> Do/merge/leave whatever/however you like, I just wanted to make sure
> >> Daniel's changes don't get lost.
> >
> > Right, thanks for clarifying. I'm happy to apply the still-relevant
> > parts of this, and Yon's SGReferenced patch, but I want a positive
> > indication from Durk and Tim that they're okay with people committing
> > non-bug-fix changes to core code. Threading is just about the worst
> > offender for seemingly benign changes introducing weird bugs for
> > certain hardware/OS configurations.

> This patch is generally a good idea, but I think it is too risky for a 1.9.1
> revision, so please hold off committing it for bit.

I wish someone would have had committed the patch _before_ the idea
came up to make a 1.9.1 release ....  :-)

I acknowledge that changes to everything that relates to threading in
FlightGear is to be considered as somehow "risky by default".
Nevertheless I suspect that few patches to the Flight-/SimGear sources
have ever undergone thoroughly testing like this one has seen ....
including but not limited to two days of public presentation at
FSweekend in Lelystad last November.

Generally speaking I'm also a bit worried about the effect on the
motivation of possible supporters if they realize that their
contribution doesnt't get included for about half a year now.
As I said before, I'm accepting your decision in this very case,
nevertheless "it would be nice" (the traditional FlightGear slogan  ;-)
if contributions didn't get deferred for such a long timespan ....
valuable contributions have already been wandering off for similar
reasons.

Best respects for the new year,
        Martin.