On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:29:25 -0700, John wrote in message
<4979d445.3070...@av8n.com>:

> 82::    Choppy video and sound. I observe that things work fine when
> the FlightGear window is the default size, 800x600. The frame rate is
> in the range 45 to 50. However, if I enlarge the window even
> slightly, e.g. 1000x750, things go to pot. The reported frame rate
> (as given by the orange number in the lower-right corner) drops to
> around 30, which wouldn’t be so bad except that the actual frame rate
> drops to around 5. That is to say, the video becomes horribly choppy.
> The sound also becomes horribly choppy, to the point where the ATIS
> and IDENT features are unusable.
>
> No error messages, no warnings, just choppy video and sound.
>
> I observe that things work much better using the command-line option
> –prop:/sim/frame-rate-throttle-hz=30.
>
> This is observed using an ATI RV350 [Mobility Radeon 9600] and the
> proprietary fglrx driver. (The last time I checked, the xorg radeon
> driver was not an option, since it lacked some required
> capabilities.)

..tried http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10181 ?

..my understanding is AMD/ATI's proprietary fglrx driver is dropping
support of old cards to make people buy new cards.  Novell's and
AMD/ATI's radeonhd "xorg" driver has similar problems, not supporting
old cards at all, and is even straggling behind X.org's radeon on
AMD/ATI's new cards:
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonProgram
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjgwMA