I too think that flightgear.org needs to be revamped.

As a returning user to fg I'd say that the presentation of the project
is poor but the software is great. However, it takes some time to
realize the fact that fg actually is usable ... it may be due to the
fact that I use a mac and other OSes have less issues before they get
started. The thing is that I think that many non-programming potential
users gets scared off because the very confusing collection on
information on flightgear.org (I include the wiki in this statement).
However, following the information flow around fg makes me realize that
the software is not intended for general use and I do not think the
primary goal is to attract a lot of users. I recall that someone
actually pointed this fact out in one of the mailing lists a few months
back.

One major issue is that some posts in the mailing lists becomes a flame
war as soon as someone of the major (most important?) contributors
doesn't like what they read. So as a almost non-contributor I decided to
contribute in flaming. In this specific case I think Curt should simply
say: "Get lost, I am running the flightgear.org web page, if you don't
like it too bad go somewhere else" because it seems to the way he feels.
Those of us who have issues with such a statement should go somewhere
else and create another competing web site that is open for more
collaborative efforts. An example is http://wiki.flightgear.org but it
is hidden and is not really a good example of where to go for ideas for
an improved flightgear.org. Another example is the mac specific web site
http://macflightgear.sourceforge.net/ and before this thread I could not
understand why it existed.

I'd like to point out that I really do not want to see a split but it is
frustrating to see people like Heiko who expresses ideas of how to move
the flightgear project forward gets ignored. I'd even like to see the
mac specific site integrated into one common flightgear.org. I'd like to
see information on how to contribute to the project. I'd like to see
accessible tools for creating scenery and airports. I'd like too see
more contributors to docs, web pages, code. I'd like to see a new
mission statement for fligthgear emphasising on end-user experience.
However, I do not expect to see much of the above in the near future.
Why not follow Linus Torvalds
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_Torvalds) example of delegating
tasks and at the same time keep some control?

And I do understand, in an open-source project each contributor chooses
what to work with but project management should encourage work on
neglected and less sexy task in the project. Project management should
also outline development paths and make decisions. At some time point
projects become larger that single project members, I think fligthgear
is close to that point. Flightgear simply has the potential to become
too successful for its current structure. Are the fligthgear project
managers up for the task taking the project one step further?

To conclude, open up the maintenance and development of the
flightgear.org web site to more users/developers. And, the rest will
follow because you (Curt) might realize that it is actually really nice
to see someone else do the job you were supposed to do.

Cheers,

Jari
- returning to the task of getting the latest CVS committed Atlas to run
  on his mac