Von: Curtis Olson <curtol...@gmail.com>
An: FlightGear developers discussions <flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
Gesendet: Montag, den 15. Juni 2009, 18:37:51 Uhr
Betreff: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Internet presentation and handling[ was
FlightGear presentation on the LinuxTag expo]

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:32 AM, Heiko Schulz wrote:

Hi all,
I installed Joomla! yesterday on my page, for making a example of what could be
flightgear.org in the next time.

This is a "me too" post. :-)  I have also installed joomla-1.5 here:

    http://www.flightgear.org/joomla/

What you will find there is the originally installed default "content".
However, joomla does look pretty cool and if we want to explore this direction,
we could have people register and start playing around with content management.

Here are a couple thoughts from a devil's advocate perspective:

1. Joomla adds an extra layer of management between the actual content and how
it gets presented to web visitors.  The actual content and site settings are
stored in a mysql database.

Question: what if our "joomla" site gets hacked some how and vandalized?  How
easy is it to roll back changes and restore a site after it's been damaged?
With our current system it's real easy ... I just rerun the web site rsync
command and yell at the ISP to fix the security hole.  If the problem is all
contained within our mysql database and user managment system, then that could
be harder to deal with.  These are things we'll have to explore, but I assume
there is a way to backup the entire site off line and restore it later if there
is a problem?  We supposedly have that capability with our phpbb forum, but the
restore side of this has never been tested.  Security and recoverability and
fixability is something we need to consider if we were to make an official move
from a simple system to a far more complex system.

2. Simplicity versus complexity.  For a long time I displayed a "powered by vi"
banner on my personal home page.  That was somewhat intended in humor, but it
was also at least half true.  My site was actually powered by a combination of
vi + emacs.

Modern, highly complex systems can be great, but they can also turn into a
nightmare if something (even something small and simple) goes wrong.

We live in a culture that lives for the next gadget, then next feature, the
next release.  For most of us newer is automatically better.  The more flashy,
the more technically complicated, the more features, the more gadgets ... the
better.  The other approach is to value "tried and true", to value things that
are well tested and have proven themselves over the course of suffcient time.

I'm not saying this to setup an argument for or against anything, I'm just
saying that we need to keep a healthy perspective of the tradeoffs, the risks,
and the potential difficulties if we were to move forward with it.

You probably already know this about me, but I do often view the latest fads
and the latest hype with a certain amount of skepticism.  I am I going to get
massively flamed in 2 years when "froombla" is released and it's way better
than joombla and we aren't using it? :-)  Have any joombla sites crashed and
burned because someone had a weak password and their account was hacked?  Or
because there was some security hole in the code?  And if a mysql database gets
corrupted or damaged for some reason, how hard is the repair job?

So anyway for those that are impatient (although I've never seen any evidence
of that around here) you can register and give it a try.  I probably have to
give you write access once you register, but registration is step #1.

Best regards,

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/