Hi All,

Apologies for the bad pun...

While the current random forest code distributes the individual trees evenly
across the terrain. This works well for large areas of forest, but less well
for more mixed terrain, where individual copses/woods of trees are mixed with
completely open ground.

For example, the farmland near where I live is dotted with small woodlands:

http://www.nanjika.co.uk/photos/bute/content/20080505_123039_large.html
http://www.nanjika.co.uk/photos/bute/content/20080505_123152_large.html
http://www.nanjika.co.uk/photos/strathaven/content/20080607_182745_large.html

I've been working on a small patch to allow trees to be grouped together into
woods. This allows what seems to me to be a more realistic grouping of trees
for farmland in particular. For example, the following screenshots show old and
new renderings of some farmland near my local airfield:

http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/old.jpg
http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/new.jpg

The code works in a pretty simple way using the materials.xml file. As an
alternative to defining an overall tree coverage, one can define instead a
density of woods, and then define the area that each wood covers (+/- 50%), and
the tree density within the wood.

I've uploaded a patch, including some materials.xml changes to the following
location.

http://www.nanjika.co.uk/flightgear/mat.tgz

I'd be very interested in people's opinions on this, particularly as it would
result in a change to the distribution of trees globally. I'm well aware that
MixedCropPastureCover looks quite different in Scotland than elsewhere.

On a related note, at some point we might want to consider enhancing
materials.xml to allow for regional as well as seasonal variation, but that is
far beyond the scope of this patch.

Comments are welcome as always.

-Stuart