On Friday 07 Aug 2009, Torsten Dreyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 08:46:57 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote in
> > message
> >
> > <h5gpm1$vj...@osprey.mgras.de>:
> > >
> > > ....  except from the fact that there are even fewer trees in
> > > Scotland because of their crazy ancestors' decision to build
> > > a magnificent naval force  ;-)
> >
> > ..you forget a lot of _that_ wood came from Norway. ;o)
>
> Fortunately they did not use Swedens wood. IKEA wouldn't exist!
>
> Torsten

I'm just wondering how much hardwood there is in Sweden.  Sweden's
Firs might have been ok for the masts and spars but hardwood was
needed for the hull and superstructure, typically Oak for the keel
and frames and other hardwoods for hull and deck planking.  Teak
was especially favoured for deck planking once trade had opened up
the tropics.  A relatively little known fact is that Balsa is
actually a hardwood :-)

LeeE