On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Csaba Halász wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:21 PM, leee wrote:
> >
> > Sure, people can be lazy _and_ stupid, but I can't see that
> > attacking them for being so is the best way to do anything about
> > it.
>
> In case you missed it, I *have* provided the relevant information first.
> I don't think I can be rightly accused of being unhelpful, although
> people do try from time to time :)
>
> Anyway, if I have offended him, I apologize as it was not my intent.

Yeah, I think we are dicing words pretty finely here with large reactions to
small bumps.

Generally if you want to download and install some software "XYZ", it works
best to find the main web page for "XYZ" and follow the instructions there.
But with goofy search engines sometimes spewing unpredictable results and
archiving the entire history of the internet, I could see a person stumbling
onto old info and getting confused if they haven't done much of this
software building stuff.

If you are running a linux distribution, often you can find a prepackaged
version of whatever you are looking for and that will save you a ton of
time.  But be a little careful, because the packaged version of XYZ often
can be dated and not the very latest version.

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson: http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/