On Friday 18 September 2009 14:56:12 Curtis Olson wrote:
> Github wrote us back saying: "Git doesn't work very well with large amounts
> of binary assets".  They didn't offer further explanation to where the
> problems might be?  Maybe they were just putting the brakes on and didn't
> want to offer to allocate us the large space that we needed?  Are there any
> real potential issues with large repositories of binary assets with git?

Given my experience with the mapserver git repo since last year (I only use it
for the FG data), it would seem to me that what they actually mean is "WE
don't work very well with large amounts of data" (or just as likely, don't
want the disk space / bandwidth costs).

In my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, git works very well indeed (far
better than CVS) for our data tree and I'd be interested to hear any
technical argument to the contrary... I very much hope that a suitable
git-based host can be found.

Cheers,

AJ