I am not exactly sure what you guys are talking about with the "nut cracker"
reference, but the Oleo Strut the vertical assembly with compressed air (or
Nitrogen) and hydraulic oil. There is a piston assembly and a metered orifice
arrangement, allowing this assembly to act as a shock-absorbing device.

The scissors assembly is a torque link, and helps dampen/resist torque moments
imposed on the nose landing gear. A&P school was a while ago for me, but
generally speaking, I believe the torque link is considered a part of the
entire Oleo assembly.

TB