A quick follow-up on my previous post...

While researching this a bit more, I found a very interesting engineering
document on the mechanics of landing gear systems:

http://www.mecheng.adelaide.edu.au/~marjom01/Aeronautical%20Engineering%20Projects/2006/group11.pdf

The PDF is just over 6mb in size, but well worth the download. There are very
good descriptions of the mechanics involved with different gear systems--and
included is some c172-specific information as well, in Chapter 8 (Page 38). The
author also shows a calculation showing that a typical nose strut in a 172
compresses about 9.3" on landing.

TB