On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 11:38 -0700, John Denker wrote:
> On 12/01/2009 11:19 AM, Heiko Schulz wrote:
>
> > thank your for the bug report.
>
> :-)
>
> > But it would be great if you could update your datas and FGFS
> > generally, there was some smaller changes done on the c172p and other
> > things lately.
>
> Every one of those bug reports has a date.  There are so many
> bugs that I can't check them all every day.

It would be nice if you would put this list on a wiki somewhere instead
of engaging in this monologue with yourself.  Then you wouldn't be
burdened to do all this by yourself, and your useful observations could
be sorted from the chaff that comprises a large portion of this list.

|28 – check for wrong scenery –
|       observed:       16 Dec 2008
| FGFS needs to be more defensive about out-of-date or otherwise
| defective scenery files.

The scenery format has be constant for years.  There is absolutely no
reason to refuse to use scenery just because its not the latest release.
Mark this bug as bogus.

| 32 – model-hz trashes sim –
|       observed: 12 Dec 2008
|       again: 1 Nov 2009
| The –model-hz=10 setting still crashes the sim.

No doubt.  --model-hz is the speed the flight dynamics model runs at.
It is an advanced control and should be left at the default 120 unless
you know what you are doing, and are changing it for a specific purpose.
And in any case should be higher than the frame rate.
Another bogus bug.

| 39 – model capitalization –
|       observed: 19 Dec 2008
|       again: 31 Oct 2009
|For example: when specifying the option --aircraft=dhc2W, the
|"dhc" must not be capitalized, while the "W" must be capitalized.

The value used for --aircraft is the file name of the -set.xml file.
The command line user can ask flightgear for the value by
--show-aircraft.  The power user can list the aircraft folder and figure
it out for himself.  The novice should be using FGRun and avoiding this
unpleasantness altogether.
OPINION.

| 51 – FDM initialization –
|               observed:       1 Nov 2009

| Attempts to initialize the simulator aloft cause ugly error messages
| and other problems. If I specify the options
| --vor=SFO --altitude=5000 on the command line, I get on the console:

Specifying a velocity by adding --vc=120 to your command line will
prevent the stall.

The console messages are showing trim errors caused by JSBSim being
(incorrectly) re-initialized.  This does need to be fixed.  Also it
appears the initialized running flag is being over-ridden so the engine
is not running at start-up.

| Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dl-close.c: 719: _dl_close: Assertion
`map->l_init_called' failed!

This is caused by a bug in you openal-soft version.

| 58 – splash screen during re-init –
|               observed:       1 Nov 2009
|During a re-init, such as occurs when the relocate-in-air popup is
|invoked, the splash-screen reappears. This is unexpected and unhelpful.

Opinion.  The splash screen hides the visual discontinuity caused by
jumping to a new location, and serves as a visual indicator that you
have been restarted.  I just wish it would fade out a bit faster.

|59 – inappropriate vegetation –
|               observed:       2 Nov 2009
|There are trees that look like pine trees on the infield of Tucson
|International Airport.
|First of all, airports don’t generally allow trees of any kind on the
|infield, because of the collision hazard.
|Secondly, the Tucson area is a desert. Pine trees are not very common
|in the desert.

With the current terragear the airport boundaries are a fixed distance
from the runway/taxiways.  Once we switch to version 8.5 of the apt.dat
and regenerate scenery this should go away.

|63 – prop strike –
|               observed:       29 Dec 2008
|               again: 1 Nov 2009
|In many aircraft including the default c172p, the engine continues
|to run after a crash. In Real Life a prop strike tends to stop the
| engine

This could be modeled on a per-aircraft/per-engine basis by adding a
contact point on the spinner and if its wow goes "true" shutting the
engine off.  And when we are done updating all the aircraft we can
change the name from flightgear to crashgear.

Ron