Hi Ron,

I did find the bindings and nasal properties as you mentioned here, but thank
you for the additional explanations.  For the time being I'm going to look at
some more normalized braking forces per aircraft based on the following
criteria.
- individual aircraft "average" landing weights per mfg specs.
- mfg published runway landing distances, per std FAR's (3 degree glideslope
over 50' obstacle)
- FG user using keyboard braking

One thing I may ask about as well is the ability to write a rain condition into
it, with reduced braking effect.  Most mfg's publish landing distances for both
wet and dry surfaces.  What I don't know is if you can extrapolate "rain" from
live metar or not.

If I find that it can be accomplished with a little time per aircraft than I
may just post it in the forum as available for users to add on if they like, or
show them how to adjust it for their favorite models.

Peter

On Dec 19, 2009, at 11:41 AM, Ron Jensen wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Brakes are applied (like most controls) by setting the correct
> properties in /controls, in this case controls/gear/brake-left
> controls/gear/brake-right and controls/gear/brake-parking.  Most of
> these properties are "normalized" so 0.0 = 0% braking and 1.0 = 100%
> braking.  The keyboard "b" key sets both brakes to 1.0 in 1/2 second.
> The "," and "." keys individually set left or right brakes to 1.0 in 1/2
> second.  This 1/2 second value may be changed by editing
> $FG_ROOT/Nasal/controls.nas.  Look for, and edit, the line that says
>
>  var fullBrakeTime = 0.5;
>
> See also:
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Property_browser
> http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Property_Tree
>
> The amount of braking force per wheel can be adjusted per aircraft in
> the flight dynamics model (FDM) for that aircraft.   This is a deep and
> complex subject, though.
>
> Ron

Peter Brown
FG "Farmboy"