Wow, what a debate. This is a reply to an early post in this thread.

On 2/5/10 6:21 PM, Martin Spott wrote:
> Jari Häkkinen wrote:
>
>> Actually I think subversion support in terrasync should be removed
>> altogether or fixed. If removed then all svn checks could be removed.
>
> Oh my, could you _please_ stop this litany ? One posting of this sort
> per day should really be enough, two or more are a nuisance. According
> to my experience you're trying to make people throw the baby out with
> the bath water, which is not appropriate here.

Well, I am only trying to suggest improvements to the code/build
environment. I think this is the first time I actually suggest a feature
to be thrown out. I remember trying to convince developers to remove
dependencies on PLIB parts that are implicitly stated to not being used
according to the fg build instructions. I have suggested that some code
should be conditionally built (i.e. by doing make check). I had a few
more posts but my hope and intent is that my postings actually improves fg.

Nae, sorry Martin I have something more to say about terragear and
subversion. I posted my previous message with a few things in mind

1) Document for other newcomers (I been around for one year soon but
still consider me a fg code beginner since I only look at the code
occasionally) that there are some strange features wrt subversion and
terragear. They might catch this thread through their favourite search
engine.

2) I wanted to report the bug (oups there I used the nasty word) in
terrasync ... it locks directories. I gave a reference to another
posting where I think it was clear that the issue was not being fixed by
the father of the baby.

3) Also, on my machine with subversion development libs the
configuration script fails out of the box. Therefore I attached a patch
for others to use or ignore.

4) I also acknowledged the fact that Geoffs was right but I wanted to
highlight that the terragear flaw is still valid. Geoffs response to my
posting explains why he is not experiencing the issues I see.

> If we were to drop every feature which _might_ occasionally have a
> malfunction here or there, then we would end up with having no
> FlightGear at all,

The problem is that the terrasync issue happens almost every time I run
fg but then of course terragear is started each time I run fg (even for
short tests). There are many directories to sync each time terrasync stars.

I don't want to drop features and I am crazy enough to run terragear
with the current subversion flaw ... hoping it will be fixed some day.
Am I the only one using subversion built-in terragear?

Cheers,

Jari