We actually try to emulate the aircraft's systems (vacuum, pitot,
static, electrical, etc.), so failure modes are much more realistic.

Instruments update more realistically, with suitable lags and other errors.

MSFS X has improved its flight models, but in general, I still find
that both JSBSim and YASim models often feel more realistic (JSBSim is
better in regular flight, but YASim sometimes does a better job around
stall, spin, etc.).

Easy to set up for the command line, so you can launch straight into a
practice approach without clicking through a bunch of screens (and can
randomize things like wind).

All the best,

David