Looks like this is a hardware problem. Looking at the kernel log, I found

irq 16: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)

irq 16 is being used by nvidia and the onboard USB ports. After disabling USB
in the BIOS, it seems like everything is running smooth. Because all my
control devices are connected by usb, I re-enabled USB and started the kernel
with acpi=debug. So far it's running - now I'll check shader-performance...

Torsten