I am having trouble getting the modified gearscissors.nas to run with
the stand alone nasal.
after adding the three numbers in gedit and saving the file, I get

$ nasal gearscissors.nas > GearScissorInterpolation.xml
Runtime error: undefined symbol
   at gearscissors.nas, line 1

If I don't edit the file after copying just your template, I get

$ nasal gearscissors.nas > GearScissorInterpolation.xml
Parse error: parse error at line 5

which is what I would expect as I have not replaced the text with a number.

If I just add the first two numbers, I get a parse error at line 7 (as
expected), but If I add the 3rd number or even just delete or comment
out that line, I get

$ nasal gearscissors.nas > GearScissorInterpolation.xml
Runtime error: undefined symbol
   at gearscissors.nas, line 1

Here is the gearscissors.nas after adding in the correct numbers for the
c172p nose strut:

import("math");
var acos = func(x) { math.atan2(math.sqrt(math.abs(1-x*x)), x) }
var R2D = 180.0 / math.pi;

var scissor_dist = 0.240626;
var scissor = 0.194716;
var oleo = 0.1893439;

var theta0 = acos(scissor_dist/2/scissor) * R2D;
print( "<?xml version = '1.0' encoding = 'UTF-8' ?>\n" );
print( "<PropertyList>\n" );

for( var i = 0; i < 1.05; i += 0.05 ) {
   print( "<entry>\n" );
   var l = (1.0-i) * oleo/2;
   l += (scissor_dist-oleo)/2;
   print( "<ind>" ~ sprintf("%4.3f", i ) ~ "</ind>\n" );
   print( "<dep>" ~ sprintf("%4.3f", acos( l / scissor ) * R2D - theta0
   print( "</entry>\n" );
}
print( "</PropertyList>\n" );

The stand-alone nasal compiled fine.  Any ideas what is wrong here?