I hate to wade into mud wrestling matches.  But for every one who is on
their high horse about being pristine in our non-use of any possible
trademarked items ... have you browsed through our aircraft?  We have
liveries from just about every airline imaginable, past and present.

What I don't like to hear is arguments along the line of: person "A" can't
submit anything that could ever possibly be a trademark infraction by
anyone's estimation, but person "B" we will let get away with it.  Oh and by
the way, we really should go through our repository and clean out any
possible trademark infringements ... maybe some day.

First of all this smacks of targeting or interpreting our policy differently
for different people... and that usually is done on the basis of some other
agenda.  Maybe the person in question has invited some of this, maybe they
haven't, but applying our policies in different measures to different people
can quickly get petty and immature.

Second, saying that "oh I wish we'd retroactively fix our repository to
honor this policy perfectly", and then doing nothing about it also is really
weak.  It sounds good on the face of it, but at the end of the day what
matters is action, not words.

I think it's pretty accepted that flight simulators can reproduce company
liveries in the process of realistically modeling the world.  I know that
has been widely debated (AA, et. al) but the reality is that people are
creating liveries of all kinds of companies all the time.

Where do we draw the lines?  Is it ok to reproduce an airline livery, but
not some other company livery?  As far as I can tell the people arguing that
we can't have a red bull logo are on really shaky ground from a
"consistency" perspective.

Do you want to argue this from a legal standpoint?  Do we only include
anything that we have written permission from the original company to use?
 In that case probably we'll have to rip out half of our simulator.  How far
do we want to take it?  Do you think aircraft manufacturers have given us
explicit permission to replicate their designs?  Aircraft systems and
cockpit displays?  Tire manufacturers?  ACME rivet company?  I've got
nothing on file from them.  Building shapes and names and logos?  If we have
to get written permssion to replicate anything, then we might as well pack
it all up and go home, as should every other simulator developer.

I only wade in because this whole thing smacks of a pissing match and I get
strong indication that our policies are being selectively interpreted by
some to gain an advantage in this stupid pissing match and not for the
benefit and quality and safety of the FlightGear project itself.

Thank you,

Curt.

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/