On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, syd adams wrote:

> Ok I tried to keep out of it ...;)
> The issue isn't your work , it's the concern over the Red Bull livery
> .... I haven't yet figured out why it's so important to include ,
> there must be many other paint schemes that could be added instead.
> I did 777 British Airways livery with some trepidation , and would
> remove it immediately if instructed to do so.
> What strikes me the most about these emails is your seemingly arrogant
> your great work , it's about Flightgear overall.
> That's just my 2 cents , I'll shut up now :)

I think the problem is that someone got on their high horse and started
jerking him around.  If I were him, I'd get just as snotty about it - more
so probably as I've got a much lower tolerance for that kind of nonsense.

Frankly, the inclusion of the livery is a tempest in a teapot.  The flight
simulation community has been using commercial liveries without issue for
well over a decade.  I've NEVER heard of anyone ever being sued by a
rights holder over a livery and I've been around this hobby for a VERY
long time.

There's entirely too much fear mongering going on and it really needs to
stop.  It has no basis in reality.  Never has.  Frankly I think people are
stirring shit up JUST to stir shit up.  If a rights holder contacts "us"
about removing a livery, you and I (and whether they'll admit it or not,
everyone else) knows that efforts to comply with that request will be very
swift indeed.

It's not like FlightGear is a commercial product that is leveraging
trademarked liveries in order to benefit from them.  Companies like
Microsoft MUST license that kind of thing because they're selling a
product.  (They also do it in order to prevent competing products from
benefiting from brand identity - it's why Fly! and Fly! II had to call
their Cessna 172 the "Trainer 172".  MS couldn't beat them
technologically, so they jerked them around by arranging exclusive
licensing with Textron...but anyway)

Jack, I personally greatly enjoy the work you've put into that armed up
fling wing of yours.  If people give you any crap about the textures,
tell 'em to See Figure #1 and ignore 'em.  They're just a bunch of
bloviating windbags with nothing better to do but run in circles,
screaming about crap that'll never happen.

g.

--
Proud owner of F-15C 80-0007

by the clean end.