> Hallo everybody,
>  I purchased a few rotary encoder and a bunch of 7segment displays to build
>  a physical replacement of the Bendix KX165. I'm using Arduino which feeds
>  data to FGFS on a serial connection. I'd like to update
>  "instrumentation/comm[0]/frequencies/standby-mhz" property using the
>  rotary encoder, I wonder what's the best strategy.
Roberto

I suggest not to send the raw encoder data to FlightGear but to compute the
frequencies internally in your arduino and send the result as a frequency or
channel to fgfs.
I used this here:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php?title=Howto:_Build_your_own_procedure_trainer#Radio_Stack
Sources available here:
https://gitorious.org/flightgear-pmpt/fg155

I use I2C communication between my PC and the microcontrollers, but that could
easily be changed to a serial-over-usb protocol for the Arduino.

best
 Torsten