On 2011-04-06 14.08, HB-GRAL wrote:
> - Do other contributors of the origin repo have the right to change my
> origin licence assignment from GPLv2 to GPLv3, when they just pull and
> push the same code? (I really think: No.)

I think anyone has the right to redistribute the code under GPLv3 if
there is a "GPLv2 or later" statement in the original license. A "GPLv2
only" clause may block redistribution under GPLv3, I do not know and
really I do not care.

Pulling all fg related material under "GPLv2 or later" license and
pushing to another repository, i.e. forking, and changing the license to
GPLv3 is legal.

Pulling the material from the repo and simply pushing it back to the
same repository may pose interesting legal questions. Can such an act be
considered redistribution? Is a redistribution required to change
license to GPLv3? The legality is really irrelevant because making such
a move without the consent of the authors of code under "GPLv2 and
later" will probably alienate contributors.

The fg project should avoid making license changes without the consent
of authors in the repositories it controls, but the fg project cannot
prohibit 3rd parties from actually changing their redistribution license
to GPLv3 (if "GPLv2 or later" was used originally).

A resolution maybe be that all contributors to single files agrees to
revoke "or later" from each single file (note, all contributors must
agree or the file must be replaced with independent art). As time goes
by new improved code in the GPLv2 only files will supersede the files
with loose "GPLv2 or later" clauses and deem the files obsolete.

Open source GPL contributors should remember, we _choose_ to release our
work under GPL. The GPL ideology is to keep the "or later" clause. Why
fight it? If the GPL way of licensing is not for you then you should
find another license that fits your needs and optimally it is GPL
friendly so that files/code can co-exist.

I heard the argument: This project is so cool, I want to contribute but
I don't like the license. Well, then this project is obviously not for
you. Remember, many times the coolness comes because of GPL.

I agree that files in fg controlled repositories that were changed by
accident from GPLv2 to v3 should be restored to the original license.

Cheers,

Jari