On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 10:42:38 +0200, Melchior wrote in message
<201104081042.39...@rk-nord.at>:

> * Jari Häkkinen -- Wednesday 06 April 2011:
> > The GPL ideology is to keep the "or later" clause.
>
> I'm not much into ideologies. I consider both GPLv2 and GPLv3
> acceptable. But I don't intend to ever (again) license anything
> with an "or later" clause. This is signing a contract without
> reading it first! Why should I allow anyone to re-license a
> fork of my work under GPLv4 or GPLv5?! I don't know what's in
> those licenses. Nobody does.
>
> And I don't consider the "or later" clause to be in the spirit
> of the GPL at all. (In the spirit of the FSF, yes.) Because an
> "or later" clause allows a fork under a license that is not
> compatible with what the original work is under, so that
> improvements in the fork cannot be ported back -- something
> that the FSF (rightfully) sells us as one of the advantages.
> You can include GPLv2 code in GPLv3 code, but not the other
> way around, right? So, basically, I'd be forced to switch the
> original work to GPLv3 to use other people's additions to it.
> Very much *not* in the spirit of Free Software.
>
> I'm just not naïve/stupid enough for that.
>
> m.

..then you should dual-license your work, under _both_
the GPLv2-only _and_ the GPLv3-only. ;o)

..that approach keeps your work under licenses you know and
like, and keeps your copyright yours to decide on GPLv4 or
GPLv5 etc once you learn of them, rather than "in advance."

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: