On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Tim Moore <timoor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM, ThorstenB <bre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've also been using CACHE_ALL since then - not seeing any problems. But
>> I haven't checked memory consumption. So, what's the status about the
>> OSG caching options, should we enable these? Tim?
> There are two issues I can think of. One is that animations might not
> work correctly with caching enabled, but I think the copying we do
> elsewhere should take care of that. The other is that memory usage
> will be higher with caching enabled.

You can say THAT again! I wonder if OSG people know that they should
also throw out stuff from cache, not just put things in!
I have been bold enough to use the CACHE_ALL for today's TGA
multiplayer event ... at the end of the 6th hour or so, FG's memory
usage reached 7.5GB, with the extensive swapping negating any eventual
advantage of the caching.

So, I certainly do not recommend setting this option on by default,
until the behavior is fixed (such as by introducing a memory limit).

Csaba/Jester