I've recently done a visual comparison between hires Flightgear scenery
and reality - for those interested, see here:

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12259

One of the striking points is that in reality even in partially clouded
skies distant objects do not start to fade into white (as the Flightgear
terrain shader assumes) but into darker colors, sometimes providing a
striking contrast with the horizon sky color before they fade into the
horizon color at even larger distance.

I've played a bit with /rendering/scene/saturation to see if there was a
way to recover that, but it didn't seem to do the right thing.

I believe the relevant parameter is the amount of light reaching the
surface at a given altitude. Naturally, the terrain shader can't know that
up front, but the weather system has all the the information needed.

If anyone is interested in attacking that problem from the shader side by
exposing a property which can dial the 'darkness' of distant objects when
they start to lose their color, I'd be happy to do my part from the
weather side and cook up a model which sets the parameter value dependent
on conditions.

* Thorsten