> Also, as we are so often told that git can do everything, why can a
> post-release branch not be set up for new source code developments, or a new
> release/freeze branch specifically for the new release? I thought that was
> the whole raison-d´etre of the devel branch.
You certainly can do that - and there are probably 50 more ways to
prepare for a release.
We chose a slightly different approach, laid out by a handful of
developers and active users during three evenings at LinuxTag. The
strategy was discussed and agreed on on this mailing-list without a
single objection.
There will be a retrospective when we can discuss if it was a success or
not, if we can improve the process or not. For now, let's try to get the
release out as planned. Don't change the aircraft in the middle of the
flight (and we are already turning to final approach).

Torsten