On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Jörg Emmerich wrote:
> 1) Writer, Poet, Engineering, Marketing, etc.
> Most of those surely do not want to be bothered with the final looks of
> their design - but surely some do (and then run into problems).

(I think the Marketing person here is part of the second group, as they
would want to be consistent with the "Corporate Identity", or brand).

I would argue that Writer, Poet, Engineer _shouldn't_ be bothered by
the final look of their design. Surely much better to have that look and
design handled by someone else, allowing them to concentrate on the
content.

> 2) Publisher and "Corporate identity"
> They definitely will support to use LaTex
>
> 3) Maintainer
> One of the questions I raised but did not yet get an answer for: How can
> all the many developers input there updates into the existing document?

Martin and I have always accepted text updates to The Manual,
either in the form of pure textual corrections, or patches to the Latex source.

> And how often?

Not very, admittedly. Outside of the updates that Martin and I make, I think
we get a couple every year.

>(We have the GIT for the design - but descriptions for
> the users in real time updates?)

I'm not quite sure of the question here. Certainly any changes will take a long
time (the next release) before they are published in a release.

> Do we have a "publishing department" in
> FlightGear? (I know there is an excellent work done right now - but how
> is the future? And how can we reduce the workload and turn-around times
> for that?)

For The Manual, it's Martin and myself. For the wiki, mainly Gijs I think.

> 4) Users and/or customers
> Those surely will require very different styles of documentation:
> - A university-Prof studding the possibilities of FlightGear
> - The FAA, that should be convinced to issue some "approvals"
> - other engineers that cooperate within FlightGear
> - real pilots that want to train
> - grown ups
> - or kids that want to play (and which we maybe able to convince to
> start simulating in FlightGear instead of playing killing-games)

Agreed - they are different target audiences. As it currently stands, The
Manual is targeted at the following people from your list:
 - A university-Prof studding the possibilities of FlightGear
 - real pilots that want to train
 - grown ups
 - or kids that want to play (and which we maybe able to convince to
 start simulating in FlightGear instead of playing killing-games)

The other two (FAA, FG engineers) require a completely different,
much more detailed set of documentation. Frankly I don't think
we should be looking to address that while we struggle to
address the above users.

> Very simply said: Look at the opening question of this thread, and tell
> me what you would answerer! (Maybe even considering that question came
> from your own kid or friend or whatever!). Would you point to the
> existing manual for an answer? Did you, yourself read the complete
> manual at least once?

Yes - I regularly point users on the Forum to The Manual to answer their
questions.

Yes - I've read it completely multiple times (but I don't count ;) )