On 09/15/2011 03:08 PM, HB-GRAL wrote:
> No, it looks like the mapping with apt.dat data is inaccurate, at least
> outside the United States.

The following repeats an email I sent quite a while ago,
which somehow seems to have gotten lost:

On 09/10/2011 03:54 PM, HB-GRAL wrote:

> I am just curious why FlightGear and OSM have the same "accurate"
> position, and Google map shows another one.
>
> I am sure, there are different problems, but some enlightenment will be
> greatly appreciated here.

Many of the entries in apt.dat are wrong.

Large errors are particularly prevalent in the entries for
small airports that don't have instrument approaches.

In some cases google maps makes the same mistakes.
I haven't checked whether openstreetmap makes the same
mistakes.  If so, the obvious explanation is that all
three have copied from each other, or from the same
defective upstream source.

When I say entries in apt.dat are wrong, I am not
comparing against one database of features against
another, but rather comparing it against satellite
photography and shuttle radar terrain mapping ... which
are known to be quite accurate.  Indeed the accuracy of
the imaging is confirmed by the fact that *some* of the
apt.dat entries are spot-on, especially for the major
airports.

On 09/12/2011 12:56 AM, Alan Teeder wrote:
>> Point positions of aeronautical navaids and airfields have mostly been well
>> surveyed and their positions should therefore be accurate.

Well, maybe they "should" be accurate, but in fact many
of the entries in apt.dat are not.

Some of the errors are quite large.  For example, the
location of CO80 "USAF ACADEMY BULLSEYE AUX AIRSTRIP"
is off by several hundred meters.  As another example,
the runway heading for 57AZ "La Cholla Airpark" is wrong
by more that 20 degrees.  Furthermore, the location and
runway heading are wrong for 2B3 "PARLIN FLD".

If you want a more-or-less endless supply of errors, look
at even smaller, private, and/or unpaved airfields.

The database also contains a goodly number of entries for
airports that ceased to exist many years ago.

These errors have got nothing to do with metaphysical questions
about the meaning of "where it is".  The entries are just wrong.
They've been wrong all along.  In most cases version 850 has
the same errors as version 810.

The metaphysical issues are much, much smaller.  As it says at
  ftp://itrf.ensg.ign.fr/pub/itrf/WGS84.TXT

>>> In general the ITRS (and its realizations ITRFyy) are identical
>>> to WGS84 at one meter level.

Similarly, there are still some people who still use NAD83,
which is not unreasonable.  It agrees with WGS84 within one
or two meters in North America ... and the offsets are well
known.

The apt.dat errors are huuuuge compared to any such offsets.

=========

I have a tool that reads apt.dat and writes kml.  Thereupon
the kml can be imported into a GIS system such as GRASS or
google-earth.  This making it easy to compare apt.dat with
the satellite and shuttle images.