On 10/19/2011 10:36 AM, James Turner wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2011, at 23:21, dave perry wrote:
>
>> 2.  Assuming the answers are no, yes, to #1, will all these repositories
>> be centrally located so one can track new or modified ac of interest?
>>
>> 3.  Is there any interest in creating repositories by ac class/type?
>> e.g. historical, military-fighter, military-transport,
>> civilian-light-ac, airliners, etc.
> Jus tot keep repeating (forever, until I have time to write the code) - don't
> confuse development and deployment here. The package system I'm working on
> includes the notion of aircraft catalogs (each an XML feed), listing
> aircraft. It's up to the catalog maintainer which aircraft he adds to it (or
> authors he allows to add to the catalog), and it's up to the end-users which
> catalog(s) they subscribe too.
>
> I'm also trying to force some metadata as part of this, about era / type /
> usage, so someone could create a '1950s Military' catalog, or alternatively
> use a 'all-aircraft' catalog, and then do a filter by era / class / license /
> rating / something else.

Hi,

Is there any written spec on this system? I got frustrated when looking
for a specific aircraft in fgrun :) and so I suggested something similar
several days ago on IRC, but it got confused with a/c rating.

If I understand you correctly, "submit a/c to a catalogue" would mean
that the information would not be kept in the a/c data - which has its
pros and cons. I rather think that the metadata should be in the a/c
itself. Maybe some combination would be the best of all worlds?

I think that each a/c should define:
 - type (SR-71B, MiG-15bis)
 - manufacturer / constructor (e.g. for Soviet planes) - (Grumman, Mikoyan)
 - nicknames and codenames (Delfin / Maya, Avenger)
 - year of first flight or production or some such
 - country of origin
 - role (fighter, airliner)
 - tags (jet, blimp, ..., movable wings, ..., WW2, ....) <- a bit fuzzy

Also the liveries/camouflages themselves could/should define
 - country
 - civil or military
 - force / company
 - years from-to

The advantage of user supplied info is that it's independent of a/c
author and can be possibly more up to date, or specify categories not
considered by the author - like a "List of aircraft flying in the
Redflag exercise".

Otoh metadata specified directly by author within a/c data will be
probably more accurate and authoritative, usable by offline tools like
fgrun and less prone to a sudden disappearance.

Any thoughts?

Edheldil