Geoff

I hope James listens to you, I have been studiously ignored.

Alan

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff McLane
Sent: Friday, October 28, 2011 7:20 PM
To: FlightGear developers discussions
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] CMake, tomorrow (Sunday 23rd)

Re: In Windows (XP WIN32) - using CMake GUI
=========================

Unfortunately, here not so good ;=(( for building
FG. SG was not too bad...

As mentioned, I had to add two options,
PTW32_STATIC_LIB, to use pthreads (for Win32)
static, and OSG_LIBRARY_STATIC, to use all
static OSG libraries...

After lots and lots of fiddling, changing things in
the GUI, this way, then that way, was ONLY able to get
a set of MSVC build files generated was by 'cheating',
and adding SIMGEAR_VERSION_OK=TRUE

I 'know' this is NOT GOOD, but without it could
NOT convince CMake to even generate files...

AND, perhaps as a consequence, of course the MSVC
build files were very incomplete, in that, for the
FlightGear build NO OSG nor SG libraries had been
added for the link...

And in fact there is no way to even give the various
plug-in (static) libraries at all, but that is
another issue...

However, after manually 'fixing' each of the
build files, I did manage to get it all linked ;=()

But of course those 'fixed' build files are over
written each time you run the GUI and do a
new generation...

And do not yet quite understand why each core
SimGear library is the subject of three variables,
like say

SIMGEAR_BUCKET_LIBRARY
SIMGEAR_BUCKET_LIBRARY_RELEASE
SIMGEAR_BUCKET_LIBRARY_DEBUG

Yes, in Windows we do need a Release and a Debug,
separated, but what is this 1st item?

Taking a clue from say the PLIB libraries,
it seems this 1st should be filled in, in the
form -
PLIB_UL_LIBRARY = optimized;path/to/rel;debug;path/to/dbg
PLIB_UL_LIBRARY_DEBUG = path/to/dbg
PLIB_UL_LIBRARY_RELEASE = path/to/rel

Presently for SG items have only filled in the Rel and
Dbg items, which is already a BIG effort, but
will try also filling it in like the PLIB
items, since I recently found that one can
manually 'fix' the build\CMakeCache.txt file...

So this can be done faster in a good editor,
than trying to fiddle in the GUI...

Maybe when I do ALL this configuring things
will work out better, and I can remove the
SIMGEAR_VERSION_OK=TRUE ;=))

Anyway presently quite exhausted from this
Windows effort ;=()

At present it seems we are asking the Windows
user to do a tremendous amount of configuration
work BEFORE they can get into building...

As always, appreciate any thought on this
windows side of things... maybe I am doing
something real wrong ;=()

Regards,
Geoff.