On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 14:02 +0100, Roland Häder wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 13:36 +0100, HB-GRAL wrote:
> > I wish to submit this changes and updates. But I am asking you to review
> > the different changes/possibilities of the script in a code 1 line of
> > apt.dat :
> >
> > a) Same name, but to lower:
> > Old line: '1    3141 0 1 01MT CRYSTAL LAKES RESORT'
> > New line: '1    3141 0 1 01MT Crystal Lakes Resort'
> That will be better. I have noticed it on many airports/airfields.
>

> > b) No shortcuts, but still <= 40 letters
> > Old line: '1    3020 0 1 04CA GRAY BUTTE FLD'
> > New line: '1    3020 0 1 04CA Gray Butte Field'
> Also better in full words, not shortcut.
>
> > or
> > Old line: '1     940 0 1 0NY7 Murphys Lndg Strip'
> > New line: '1     940 0 1 0NY7 Murphys Landing Strip'
> Same above. Nice improvement.
>

> > c) Same name, but marked as closed in apt.dat when ourairports says
> > "closed":
> > Old line: '1     250 0 1 03VA Whipoorwill Springs'
> > New line: '1     250 0 1 03VA [X]Whipoorwill Springs'
> Can you please try to remove that [X] or is it somehow important?
>

> > d) Take "new" names from ourairports
> > Old line: '1      18 0 1 04W  Keech\n'
> > New line: '1      18 0 1 04W  Field of Dreams Airport\n'
> I think it is hard to validate them but these \n are not parsed well in
> my view (as a sim-pilot).
>

> > What changes (0 or a/b/c/d) do you think are useful and will be accepted
> > (also by developers working with apt.dat for FlightGear "side projects"
> > like Maps, Launchers etc.) ?
> My launcher won't be affected by it, but maybe fgrun? And how about
> taxidraw?
>

> > Cheers, Yves
> Regards,
>   Roland

Hi Yves,

All looks like a good idea ;=))

I guess the only thing is concerning 'closed'
airports. Should they be in apt.dat at all?

But if they are retained for 'historic', or
other purposes, it would be good if they were
all consistent...

- It seems there are already some 16 with [X],
but most are with a space after this, except
  UHP1 [X]Lenino
The others are all like
  3R3  [X] Austin Executive Airport
  XBEL [X] Bellows AFB
  ... etc ...

- But 2 just have the word 'closed', no [X]
  EIGM Gormanston (closed)
  YLUT Laverton (Military - Closed)

- One with both
  KAUX [X] CLOSED Robert Mueller Municipal

- One with just X, no square braces, and closed
  VHXX X CLOSED Kai Tak

As stated, would be nice if they were all
similarly 'marked', if retained...

Just my 2 cents ;=))

Regards,
Geoff.