On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:35 AM,  Thorsten R. wrote:
> Thanks to Hooray who helped me setting up the CMake environment and the
> guys at Infocare who finally managed to fix heat management of my
> computer, I am now back on the devel tree. I've done a few tests yesterday
> and identified a list of weather-related issues which I think should be
> addressed (unfortunately, I can't do all myself).

Glad you're computer has been sorted.

> 4) Clouds now appear to be loaded in discrete lumps when they come into
> visual range rather than gradually be faded in via transparency which
> looks a bit ugly from high altitude - Stuart, is this intentional and a
> performance-related issue?
Neither. I think it's a bug due to the way in which LoD is handled - basically
the LoD is cutting in before the transparency fading. The LoD is static,
while the transparency can be set by the user. I need to make the LoD
dynamic,

> 5) Changing the cloud density slider with LW clouds in the scene still
> erases all clouds for me. Imho, would be a net option to have. Stuart,
> what are your plans?
No plans to fix this at present, The underlying problem is that changing
the cloud density causes the clouds to be regenerated from the weather
conditions. Unfortunately changing that will require quite some
re-architecting. I'll bear it in mind in my performance work to see if I
can make it easier.

> 6) External rain textures are visible through clouds from above, looking
> very silly. As far as I understand, since rain textures are true models
> with 2d billboard animation whereas clouds are sprites with shader
> rotation, the issue here is the render-bin again (?). I see three
> possibilities - either we write a 2d rotation shader like the cloud shader
> and use it for the rain textures and the infrastructure to go with it,
> then rain is just like clouds and it should be fine. Or there is a way to
> assign a render-bin somehow to the model as it is loaded. Or external rain
> textures go away for the moment.
You should be able to set the render bin for the effect if you are using one.
Alternatively, it may be that we can get more performance from the clouds
such that we won't need to put them in a separate render-bin.

-Stuart