Hi Joe, actually the FlightGear scenery is round -- technically oblate
ellipsoid based on a wgs-84 coordinate model.  If you stitched enough tiles
together you will see the earth curvature start to form.

The FlightGear world model lets you fly accurate great circle routes, and
enables all the chart intersections to be at the correct location with the
correct radials from all the relevant navaids.

This also allows for correct relative placement of the sun, moon, stars,
planets, correct phase of the moon (by just shading the moon from the
position of the sun like in real life.)  This ties into correct
sunrise/sunset times, correct seasonal amounts of light and position of the
sun, etc.

Best regards,

Curt.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 7:29 AM, wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Dec 2011 10:37:44 +0200 (EET)
> thorsten.i.r...@jyu.fi wrote:
>
> > http://www.phy.duke.edu/~trenk/pics/local-weather-next05.jpg
> >

> Impressive!
>
> > Technically, tile generation is tied to actual visibility. The max.
> > visibility the system generates at high altitude is 140 km or a
> > user-specified maximum, whichever is lower, so cloud positions are
> > computed at most out to 80 km or so.
>
> At view distances > 100 km it becomes more and more apparent that the
> flightgear scenery is flat and not a sphere, doesn't it?
>
> I think a realistic horizon is impossible as long as scenery/world is
> a disc. This applies even to low altitudes. In reality you can see that
> the clouds wrap our planet.
>
> Joe

Curtis Olson:
http://www.atiak.com - http://aem.umn.edu/~uav/