On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Stuart Buchanan wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM,  <thorsten.i.renk wrote:
>>> 4) Clouds now appear to be loaded in discrete lumps when they come into
>>> visual range rather than gradually be faded in via transparency which
>>> looks a bit ugly from high altitude - Stuart, is this intentional and a
>>> performance-related issue? I have verified that the corresponding tile is
>>> already loaded, so it's not something my part of the system does.
>>
>> With GIT pulled just before Xmas, I still see a hard-coded limit of ~20 km
>> cloud visibility range which makes impossible for me to test layers
>> appearance from above properly. This is very annoying, I hope the
>> underlying problem is identified and fixed soon.
>
> The LoD is currently hardcoded to 20km, so if visibility > 20km, it kicks in
> before the transparency effect.
>
> I have a good fix that takes into account the current visibility as part of
>  the Impostors work, but that won't be available until after the release.
>
> In the meantime, I can increase the LoD range to (say) 40km. However,
> there will probably be some performance penalty.

I've just committed to origin/next a better fix for the LoD range that adjusts
based on the view distance, and also attempts to account for the possible
size of the cloud itself.

The clouds will now be rendered further out than before, so there will be an
apparent perf hit, and users may need to use a shorter cloud visibility range
than before. However, that is because the slide now has the correct effect
on the LoD nodes, so I will claim that it was merely wrong before. *

Let me know if you still see issues.

-Stuart

* Yes, that sounds _just_ like Apple's handling of the iPhone 4
antenna issues :)