On Thursday 29 December 2011 10:21:11 Vivian Meazza wrote:

> That said - why use drivers that cannot handle .dds compression formats? I
> assume closed source drivers are OK?

They simply are not. I currently cannot use FlightGear due to simply unusable
performance with free drivers but still, it's worth this tradeoff for me after
years of pain with closed source drivers (both NVidia and ATI/AMD). Free
drivers allow me to:

* do my job which is programming which needs loads of text on the screen
   (closed source drivers gave unusably low performance here)
* have multiple X servers running, so my girlfriend can have her own user on
   my computer without either of us having to log out all the time
* upgrade to current (development) kernel any time
* have decent video performance
* actually get support for kernel problems

In sum, these features are worth more to me than FlightGear, though I miss it
very much. The free radeon drivers nowadays are good enough for many games and
other software. It would be nice if FG developers acknowledged their existence
and avoided breaking their user's experience.

Personally I hope to get back to at least flyable performance levels with a CPU
upgrade in the near future. But even if not, I would never go back to closed
source drivers.

Stefan