> > Do you mean that v1.1 as posted on the forum can't be committed
> > as is to git ?
>
> Technically it could, but at the expense of forcing everyone to use
> lightfield shaders. It overwrites for instance the default terrain
> and model shaders.
>
> The reason why this is implemented in that way is that I have no clue
> how an effect file should be properly structured. I can change an
> existing effect file to insert new property-to-unifrom mappings, I
> can change the filename of the shader to be used, but my attempts
> to do more have so far gone terribly wrong and broken the effect.
>
> So what needs to be done for a clean commit is:
>
> * rename the special shader files where they overlap with default
>   files
> * add conditionals to the effect files that if skydome scattering
>   shader is on the lightfield files should be used, otherwise the
>   defaults as they are (* not essential, but currently true camera
>   altitude above MSL is obtained from Nasal and written into the
>   tree - I'm fairly sure we have it somewhere better, I just don't
>   know where)
>
> It's not much work, but it requires some better knowledge of how
> effect files work. Which is the point where I need help.

I think that you have to add new techniques (an XML element) to
existing effect file. You leave the current <technique> intact and
copy/paste it in the same file, add or change what is needed and
Modify its predicate.

Look at model-default.eff that implements 2 techniques.

Techniques can have a predicate that can test a property. Yesterday,
I implemented the <not> operator that was creating syntax errors
until then. Techniques (with their predicate) are tested in
ascending order of their index (the "n" attribute), so you can
create a new technique with a lower index than the one for the
current technique and add a predicate that test (for example)
/sim/rendering/lightfield.

Regards,
-Fred