Not sure if this adds anything new, but digging in old email, I found
Tim's review of the "photo scenery patch" from about a year ago. I'm not
sure if the patch was updated since (or even if it's really the same at
all), but there were two issues/questions then:

1. "It unconditionally uses texture unit 3 in the terrain
fragment shader even if no photo-realistic texture has been found."

2. It seems to blend the photo textures with the default material
textures "using the alpha value of the photo texture, but
that isn't documented anywhere.". The purpose wasn't really clear then -
i.e. why would you want to blend something photo realistic with a
material texture in the first place.

To get the patch into Git, Tim asked for the first issue to be fixed, so
there was no impact unless photo textures were actually used. And he
tried to discuss the second point.

There wasn't any follow up/reply from the author though (at least, none
that I'm aware of - which of course could just mean they switched to
French ;-) ).

cheers,
Thorsten