> The direct link to the merge request is usually handy.

Will do next time.

> Effects/terrain-default.eff has two techniques number 4. They seem
> similar
>
> Could you check ?

Aarg... GIT strikes again. The two blocks with technique 4 are identical copies
- one of them can go. Must be my screwup in merging the file...

> One short comment on the shaders, texture lookups inside branches gives
> undefined results, so any texture2D() call should be pulled outside the
> branches.
> (http://hacksoflife.blogspot.com/2011/01/derivatives-ii-conditional-
> texture.html)

Thank you for the info - that's good to know (although admittedly I have to do
some reading trying to understand what 'that' precisely is - the linked article
is a bit opaque for me). Seems there's a lot to learn about the hidden secrets
of GLSL...

Since this doesn't look like a crippling issue (it seems to work on my card
just fine, it potentially affects only higher detail settings,...) I would like
to take the time and understand what is going on before making any changes. The
reason is that things end up in conditionals usually because I tested them to
have better performance, so just pulling them out would degrade performance
again. The article seems to suggest a different syntax to do conditional
texture lookup inside an if clause, so I would like to look into that and
compare performance in some benchmarks.

I would also be intersted if anyone is actually seeing any texturing artefacts
(should be mainly the snow effect) caused by the issue, so that I can see if I
implemented a fix correctly, because on my system it's running fine as it is.

Thanks,

* Thorsten