On Tue, 2012-09-04 at 12:07 +0100, James Turner wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2012, at 11:43, Alasdair wrote:
>
> > Further research shows that for the b1900d & SenecaII, this problem goes
> > way back to 2.6.0. It has only become apparent (in my case) for the
> > c172p in recent git pulls. I will attempt to find exactly when, but I am
> > having to learn git as I go :-( Since the c172p is my aircraft of
> > choice, the problem has gone unnoticed up till now.
>
> I would be very cautious in your testing - from what Thorsten's already
> indicated, you are /not/ looking at a stable issue. There's certainly
> code-paths that bias it (wxradar apparently, and model complexity / texture
> complexity in general), but changing OS / driver / FG version and having the
> problem go away or re-appear doesn't conclusively indicate that a specific
> change was made in those things, that is causal for the bug.
>
> In other words, changing your configuration (aircraft, rendering settings,
> drivers, who knows) may push you back-and-forth over the line where the bug
> occurs, but that doesn't tell us much about the real cause.
>
> Of course, testing is still worthwhile - it would be interesting to know if
> anyone saw the issue with FG 2.4 - but again so much has changed in terms of
> shaders complexity, that I fear this again might not prove anything.
>
> James

Thanks for the words of wisdom, James, but I am still curious to
determine when the problem began for me on the c172p. I don't think
Fred's suggestion for git bisect will work because I have to bisect fg,
sg and data and keep them in sync, so I reckon I will have to do the
binary chop manually. This is really a labour of love & curiosity, cos
all is ok on another more powerful m/c with nvidia graphics + 4
monitors.

regards, Alasdair