On Thursday, December 13, 2012 01:03:45 Vivian Meazza wrote:
> Don't we need radar altitude for buildings  etc. for radar altimeters, but
> probably not trees?
>
> A radar altimeter needs to sample both the terrain and "hard" objects on
> it.
>
> However, I watch this work with interest: I think it might make it worth
> reviewing the AG radar that I abandoned due to the impact on frame rate,
> and lack of realistic range because not enough tiles were loaded,
>

> Vivian
>
> Vivian

Yeah... to be discussed. I don't know much about trees, except that they are
nodes made out of a couple of vertices (I think Stuat can correct me on this).
But you're right about the buildings and radar alt.
I suggest changing the signature of FGScenery::get_elevation_m to include a
flag: surface only, and set the traversal mask accordingly.
I will do just that today and report the results. I want this to be retro-
compatible and no changes to other code that relies on get_elevation_m.
Like I mentioned last night, not having to traverse all the random buildings,
trees and whatnot speeds the intersect visitor result quite a lot, if only
terrain elevation is desired.
Any comments?

Cheers,
Adrian