> I think the foam texture is still read in a conditional, based on
> distance.
> (water-lightfield.frag/water-lightfield_lr.frag lines 422-434)

You got me there :-) But it turned out not to be the problem... the problem was
that

if (condition) {do_stuff();}
(...)
if (condition) {do_other_stuff();}

apparently isn't evaluated correctly in all cases quite independent of texture
lookups - re-ordering the code into a single block

if (condition)
{
do_stuff();
do_other_stuff();
}

did eliminate the flickering. So your distrust in conditionals wasn't a bad
lead after all...

I'll commit the bugfix tomorrow.

* Thorsten