On Wednesday 02 January 2008 12:46:24 pm Curtis Olson wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 12:32 PM, Fred Larson <> wrote:
> > I put this question to the "General Help" forum, and they suggested that
> > I ask
> > the users list.
> >
> > I'm getting frame rates of around 5-8 when flying the default C172P in
> > the default 800x600 window.  I've done some experimenting with rendering
> > options,
> > color depth, etc. without much effect.  I tried full-screen game mode,
> > which
> > decreased my frame rate.
> >
> > Machine: Dell GX270
> > CPU: P4 2.8 GHz
> > Memory: 512 Mb
> > Video: Intel 82865G integrated
> > Monitor: Acer 1680x1050 LCD
> > OS: Kubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy)
> >
> > Do you think this hardware is inadequate to get a better frame rate, or
> > do I
> > have a config problem somewhere?  Any suggestions?
>
> Let me start out by saying that I am biased towards nvidia graphics
> hardware becuase it generally works very well and is very trouble free
> under linux (your mileage may vary a bit and I'm sure there are counter
> stories, but generally I feel that nvidia is the best performing and best
> supported option right now for linux users.)
>
> I can say fairly confidently that if you installed a $100 nvidia card or
> better, and installed the nvidia linux drivers, you will see about a 10x
> frame rate increase.
>
> Regards,
>
> Curt.

Thanks, Curt.  I'm considering that.  There may be a few hurdles to getting a
new card in this box, such as:
        1. getting the budget allocation from the finance committee (i.e., my
wife)
        2. if there's enough space in the box (I haven't opened the case on
this
thing -- I understand they can be tight)
        3. if  the case has enough cooling for a new video card
        4. if the PSU can handle it.

I can probably finagle #1 if the rest aren't a problem.  But I thought I'd see
if someone might be able to help me determine if the i865 is actually doing
all it can, and if not, how I might be able to fix my config.

--
Fred
8v)