[..]
> font etc. yes, but I am not sure about alignment - as it is property
> relative to something above it, ...

True enough, but is not the same thing true of any widget?  The
widget's position is relative to something (window or screen) above it.

> ... so it should be rather property of the
> widget. This would also allow assignment of the same label (which looks
> the same within its bounding box) to different widget.

Agreed, under my scheme it would not be possible for multiple
widgets to share a label with different alignments; the label
would have to be copied in that case.  Is this a common use
case, do you think?