> Ugh, I wonder if the above reasoning results in too much copied code/multi
> inheritance type conditions.

This is the whole problem. You are not refreshing a label every 7
milliseconds - you're not running a label in a tight loop several
thousand iterations long, etc..  . The whole point of using C++ is to
make use of object-oriented concepts and the standard library. I
understand the concept of fast and light, but there is always a
trade-off when making something standard, readable, and maintainable.
There should be unit testing for each of the classes developed along
with some timing and size information included if it's that big of a
deal. Then we could fight over 1.42 usec vs. 1.44 usec and 16 bytes vs.
18 bytes, etc...

Ryan