> On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 11:38 -0700, Nikita Egorov wrote:
> > Dont forget that DirectFB is (at the moment, of course)
> lowlevel library!
> > For example :
> > It has no methods to draw/fill arc and polygons.
> I thought I might use Cairo to do those things.

I'd hazard that that would be a lot more work than just picking up
Nikita's work and moving forward.
Cairo is a lot of dependency to pull in for a lightweight GUI...

> > Window managers have no decoration.
> I haven't decided on a window manager yet, I was considering hacking
> flwm.

If you have a fixed "kiosk-style" interface on an embedded system (I
think that's what you indicate later on) then it's not entirely clear
you actually need a WM at all, you can just draw your widgets in the
"right place"... I have done this, it worked OK.
FWIW, I also had a hacked up version of aewm that I used for a variant
that needed more conventional "windows". Either way works.

> > To use a font you can only load it from specified file.
> Pango?

Is that not overkill just to load a font? If your application is indeed
a fixed kiosk-style interface, then your fonts and so forth are (almost)
certainly set at build time, so simply loading from a known file is
trivial and much easier than messing with PanGo.

> > It has no any functions to work with regions (regions can
> be only rectangular). And so on.
> >
> > Do you plan to do it again (after me) ?..
> Hope not!!  I need to study the API of DFB, FLTK and look at the code
> you have already written to really make a comment.  My needs are user
> interfaces for machines so I have no interest in desktop style GUIs, a
> single application runs from power-up to shutdown and usually the
> hardware has limited resources.

SELEX Sensors and Airborne Systems Limited
Registered Office: Sigma House, Christopher Martin Road, Basildon, Essex SS14
3EL
A company registered in England & Wales.  Company no. 02426132